o To understand the role of grammar in learning English
o To study recent research on the teaching & learning of English as a second or additional language.
o To formulate different types of authentic grammar exercises
o To present grammar structures inductively and deductively
o To understand L1 interference with the language
· General background and concepts:
What is Grammar? What is pedagogical grammar? What is "correct' English?
Grammar & reality: how do we focus on form within a communicative framework?
· Grammar teaching methodologies:
Recognition & production learning – exercises, games & activities
Inductive and deductive teaching, PPP, Task based instruction
· Focus on Form (accuracy) – meaning (meaningfulness) – use (appropriateness)
· Practicing Techniques & instructions for presentations
· ASSIGNMENTS: instructions
· Pedagogical rules (Swan)
· Mapping a text book unit
· Identifying grammar problems (error analysis) & solutions:
· Students' presentations
· Summary and practical applications